Conversational Questions For “Giving Advice”
- I’ve been smoking cigarettes for years and I want to quit. What do you think I should I do?
- I just received a large inheritance and I want to invest it. What do you think are my best options?
- I’m sick of being fat and un-healthy. I want to lose as much weight in the least amount of time without taking diet pills. *You got any ideas?
- I just lost my job and I haven’t told my husband/wife yet. How do you think I should **go about telling him/her?
- I found a wallet on the street with a lot of money and lots of credit cards. I could just keep the money and turn in the wallet to the police — or I could contact the owner and give the whole thing back. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
- My kid is having a lot of problems at school. He says that his teachers treat him/her very badly and all other students pick on him/her. How do you think I should handle this situation?
- My toddler is having a very hard time giving up his/her pacifier, and it feels like torture when I take it away. What can I do?
- What’s the best way to get rid of a headache?
- I hate my job, but I’m afraid to quit. Got any advice?
- ♠ I don’t know what to do with my life?
- I want to do more with my life instead of just working all the time. I used to be a fun person with a lot of interests. Now life just sucks. How do I get back to the person I used to be?
- I am always getting to work late, no matter how hard I try. ♠♠ How do you do you do it?
- I am constantly losing everything! My keys, my credit cards, my ID. What can I do not be so absent-minded?
- I have a cold but I don’t want to take any medication. What do you do when you have a cold?
- I just moved here and I want to meet new people but I’m a bit shy. How can I meet people without seeming awkward and eager?
- What’s the quickest way to become wealthy and stay wealthy?
- My car has been having lots of problems but they are mostly maintenance issues. I don’t know if I should get it repaired or just get a new car. What do you think?
- I want people to like me, but I don’t know how to do that. What should I do?
- How can I get my husband to help me with the house-work?
- How can I get my wife to stop nagging me about the house-work and realize that I help out equally in other ways?
- How can I get my lazy husband/boyfriend to put down the beer, get off the couch and come to the gym with me?
- How can I get my wife to realize that she already has too many shoes and purses and is wasting money on buying new ones every month?
- I want to make my anniversary really special. What do you think is the best way to give my husband/wife the best anniversary ever?
- What do you think is the best way to spend a first date with someone?
- I want to become much more efficient. What are some tips for organizing my time?
- My girlfriend/boyfriend cheated on me. I honestly believe that he/she is sorry about it, and I don’t think it will happen again. But, do you think I should let it go, or just break up with him/her and move on?
* Though this question-form is not grammatically correct, it is a very common way of speaking in English, by removing the word “Do” and sometimes even “you” from the personal question.
** The phrase “go about” is used in reference to the way that someone should do something; what method one should take, or techniques one should use.
♠ Sometimes a request for advice does not come in the form of a question but with a desperate statement of despair.
♠♠ This question is obviously directed to someone who actually does not have the same problem as the person asking.
Giving advice can be very helpful, and receiving advice can be very appreciated. But (and here is a little piece of advice) unless you are a parent, loved one, very close-friend — and you KNOW that the person will appreciate your advice — It is really not a good idea to give advice to someone unless they ask for it.
Giving advice when it is not asked for is not only not appreciated, but often-times, even if the advice is good (and the person knows that it is good) it will not be followed, and may even be shunned out of spite.
And That’s My Advice On That!
This is by no means a complete list…
The items on this list are a combination of ideas compiled from many sources including my own personal experience and inspiration. These are basic questions that anyone with enough time and brainpower can think of. Therefore, I do not claim ownership of these ideas, nor do I believe that anyone else can either.
If this list looks similar to other on the internet, it is because these are good ideas for a conversational class on this particular topic and these questions can be found in numerous different places.
The reason that they appear here is because I have compiled this list for my own personal use and have also made it available for anyone else who may find it useful in their studies or teaching practice.
Information used for educational purposes should be free for ALL, for the sake of education and the overall advancement of human-kind.
It is also in this same light, that I invite anyone who wishes – to copy, cut, paste, and otherwise use this page for their own educational or instructional needs…
…There is nothing original under the sun…
(None can claim ownership… All are rightful heirs of knowledge.)
Have An Excellent Day!